Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Year, Fresh Start

I'm getting a fresh start this new year with a new blog post. Although I like to write, blogging is not my favorite pastime. I have good intentions, and... we'll see where they lead!

Glenn, Valerie, Kelly and I have been working hard to transform our B&B decor from Christmas decor to winter decor. Next week we will switch from our traditional bed covers to cozy winter plaid duvets and the sitting room connected to the Tranquility Suite will change from French Country to Amish decor, accented by artwork by N.A.Noel and P. Buckley Moss. Our front porch furniture has inviting red plaid pillows and soft warm throws for those who wish to venture outside. A few of the interior holiday decorations will stay in place until we start putting out decor for Valentine's Day and Sweethearts' Month.



As many of you know, a group of my gal pals, known as "The Elves," gather in November to spend a weekend decorating for Christmas. I have to say that those days are much more fun than our recent days of getting everything set for storage. However, this post-holiday time and effort is beneficial because it gives us a fresh start - a head start on our next Christmas decorating plan. We're better organized than we have ever been. Kelly has been a great support in this work. We've documented a clear plan of the number of lights that should go on each tree. I've already decided what the 2017 theme on the Tranquility Suite will be, and I'm leaning hard toward decorating our front parlor tree with the more traditional ornaments, i.e., multi-colored glass snowmen, ice skaters, and other wonderful Christmas images.


I'm focusing strongly on my B&B marketing plan as I make my fresh start in the new year. In a couple of weeks you'll see a recurrent theme in our page headers, linking our web pages, listing pages, social networking sites, etc. We're dedicated to developing a recognizable "brand" that, along with our logo, will enable you to consistently connect to Blessings on State Bed & Breakfast. Young DECA entrepreneurs from Jacksonville High School are reviewing our social networking activity and will make recommendations for improvement as their project moves forward. I'm pondering, and have started preparing, a plan to offer inclusive small wedding packages. I may use my wedding research to also offer inclusive packages for reunions, showers, and other gatherings. I'm often asked about these events and I think it's time to formulate an event guide for Blessings on State Bed & Breakfast. It is my hope that we will have the opportunity to collaborate with one of our local historic sites and many local vendors.

Although we're quite busy between May and October, I've never really pushed for guests during the remaining months because of my DCFS work load. However, I'm scoring fewer and fewer plans each year and I believe that now I'm able to manage both my DCFS work and a more regular flow of off-season B&B guests. Watch our Facebook page for special offers as we work to promote business in our quieter months.

What are you doing to have a fresh start in 2017? I trust that the coming year will be one of the best years ever. We'd love for you to come for a visit at Blessings on State Bed & Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment